Well blow me down, what a frickin’ brilliant month it’s been. Warm days and nights, minimal rain, excellent concerts, the World Cup and great days out and about. the svelte one is in a good mood.
And I think this radio show reflects that. Despite some horrible technical probs, which meant having to ditch a bunch of tunes AND cut down on the bullshit chat, this was one of the funnest shows ever. I even had a dance around the office despite, for the first time in ages, there being no techno on the show (hmmm, does The Knife’s opera count?)
So if you want to download, head over here, or there’s the obligatory gutted Spotify playlist here.
1. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble – Party Started from Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (Honest Jon’s)
2. Chilly Gonzales & Boys Noize – Never Stop (Piano-Pella) from Never Stop (single) (Phantasy Sound)
3. Kronos Quartet – The Castle from Dracula (Nonesuch)
4. Kronos Quartet – Dr. Van Helsing and Dracula from Dracula (Nonesuch)
5. Kronos Quartet – The End of Dracula from Dracula (Nonesuch)
6. The Knife – Seeds From Tomorrow, In A Year (Rabid)
7. School Of Seven Bells – The Wait from Disconnect from Desire (Ghostly)
8. Dirty Projectors – Two Doves from Bitte Orca (Domino)
9. Belle and Sebastian – If You’re Feeling Sinister from If You’re Feeling Sinister (Jeepster)
10. Race Horses – Man In My Mind from Goodbye Falkenberg (Fantastic Plastic)
11. Vampire Weekend – California English from Contra (XL)
12. Eddy Current Suppression Ring – Second Guessing from Rush to Relax (Melodic)
13. O Children – Fault Line from O Children (Deadly People)
14. These New Puritans – Attack Music from Hidden (Domino)
15. Gregory Isaacs – Rock On (Observer)
16. Thom Yorke – Harrowdown Hill from The Eraser (XL)
17. Mount Kimbie – Blind Night Errand from Crooks & Lovers (Hotflush)
18. David Kitt – Still Don’t Know from Explorer’s Club: 5. Berlin-Stockholm (Lo Recordings)
19. Samamidon – Saro from All is Well (Bedroom Community)
20. Tindersticks – Keep You Beautiful from Falling Down A Mountain (4AD)
One major omission of the show was playing a track from the new Mount Kimbie album and completely failing to give my review or even backannounce it. I was going to say something like this:
Laid back sample-heavy album, in style of Luke Vibert’s more gentle business, overtones of DJ Shadow \ the Avalanches (ie it sounds a bit old) with a bit o’ Burial in there. But it’s quite lovely to listen to, just not sure why it’s getting super-props all over the place. People say it’s dubstep, but there’s not enough bass over the entire record to warrant such an opinion methinks.
Links to some stuff I talked about:
Explorer’s Club: Year long Lo Recordings + Arctic Circle project of lovely music
Field Day: 31st July in Victoria Park, London, starring Chilly Gonzales, These New Puritans, Gold Panda, Andrew Weatherall, Hypntoic Brass Ensemble, Esben and the Witch, Pantha du Prince and much much more
Big Chill Festival: 5 – 8th August, Eastnor Deer Park starring Massive Attack, Thom Yorke, Gregory Isaacs, Redlight, Lily Allen, Belleruche, Little Dragon and much much much much much more.
Green Man Festival: 19 – 22nd August, Brecon Beacons starring Fuck Buttons, Sleepy Sun, Sam Amidon, Tindersticks, O Children etc ec etc
Festinho: 27 – 30th August, Hinwick House, Bedfordshire – BEST FESTIVAL EVER!
Sleepy Sun @ Bush Hall, 17th August
lcd soundsystem + Hot Chip @ Alexandra Palace, 10th November (other dates around the country as well)
Release The Bats (Battles, BEAK>, Walls, The Field), 30th October @ Kentish Town Forum